Montag, 2. Mai 2011

Winter is over ...

Winter is officially over since the beginning of April. Now that we enter Mai, I think it is time to update the blog.

1) Winter was hard, lots of snow (sometimes at least :-) ) and I lost my shipyard tent because of too much snow in one night :-(. The sight of the caved in tent was too hard to look upon, so I didn't take pictures.
This was taken after we cleaned up the mess and before we put up the new one.













2) I remembered my CAD past and designed the cradle components (cutting table under the plans look familiar? I got the idea on i550.org)
























3) this is the "base frame" for the cradle ...













4) ... and here is the finished product:
























Now the fun can start ... :-)

4 Kommentare:

  1. Wow! Now that's one seriously cool building cradle.

    AntwortenLöschen
  2. Hi there EU building partner,

    This look impressive!
    If you read the Portland story and as I also understood from my other Dutch builder you end up with less filler if you let the side panels find their own way. Now you will put the side panels in a straight jacket with straight lines.
    If you only keep the bottom bed and tie wrap the chines you will notice that the side panels will curve by nature. This will also give you more volume at the front (nice when you will dive in a wave) and almost no need for kilo's of filler at the end.

    Jan
    hull # 320 NL EU

    AntwortenLöschen
  3. Hi Jan,

    I'm aware of the issue but not totally convinced by the solutions others provided (e.g. filling or modifying the frames). I will start with the frames as designed and will see how it will come out.

    But I won't hold on to my strict cradle dogmatically. So if I find out that the curvature of the side panels is not as desired, I will be quick with my jigsaw :-).

    Cheers.

    AntwortenLöschen